Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Slant 6 - Soda Pop * Rip Off


Slant 6 were a DC-area all-female band from circa 1992-1995. A semi-interesting fact about the band: they took their name from an in-line six cylinder engine produced by Dodge for Chrysler in the 60s and 70s. The trio (Christina Billotte, Myra Power & Marge Marshall) put out a couple singles and two albums during their three years together. Both long-players came out on Dischord Records.

Soda Pop * Rip Off is their first album. It's a good record and one I used to have on vinyl but ending up selling for some reason (maybe because I'm an idiot). If you troll the web seeking comparisons for the band's sound, you'll come up with descriptors like punk and riot-grrl and names like Sleater-Kinney, Wire and Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders fronting the Wipers. I'll let you decide. Here are a couple songs:

Time Expired (link expired)

Invisible Footsteps (link expired)

Buy Soda Pop * Rip off here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that record! I actually just bought another copy cuz my Dischord Promo cassette copy that I took from Epicenter finally broke.

Kza said...

you'll come up with descriptors like punk and riot-grrl and names like Sleater-Kinney, Wire and Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders fronting the Wipers.

Holy shit, that almost sounds like my dream band. Am checking them out now.