Monday, September 8, 2008

Headache City - Headache City


Headache City are a Chicago band (2003-present) and this is their self-titled first full-length from 2006 on Shit Sandwich Records. They have ex-members of the Motards and the White+Outs, which means you can expect some fuzzy garage punk in their sound. But the band add something different to the mix in the form of poppy melodies and new wave keyboards. Reviewers are all over the map on this band, comparing them to everyone from the Knack, the Modern Lovers, The Fall and the Flying Nun bands from New Zealand.

I was excited to find this for $1.99. I'd heard how good it was when the record first came out and I'd been meaning to track it down but forgot. I've listened to it several times and I'm kind of torn. At first, the keyboards and the singer's way of annunciating stuff really bothered me. The more I listen to it, the more it's grown on me. Repeated listens have me thinking it's punchier and darker than I thought. Still, it's the kind of record I have to be in the right mood to enjoy.

Check out these songs:

Wax Pedigree

Tearjerker

You can purchase the album on LP or CD here.

No comments: